January 05, 2010

An End and a Beginning

Wow! Time flies when you're too busy to notice! I cannot believe my last post was Thanksgiving and here we are at the beginning of the new year. I am happy to announce that not much has changed and at the same time a little disappointed too. I am looking for some excitement!

Christmas brought some important truths to be remembered. The holiday is not about the toys and presents, but about the Christ child's birth and being able to spend time as a family. We had a small, second-hand Christmas this year. The kids were so excited they were up at 2 am! Brian and I had just gone to bed about 11:30. We tried to sleep some while the kids played with a few of their toys until they kept coming into the bedroom wanting to open the rest of their presents. At 6 am we finally gave in and got up. We were done with presents, dressed, and had breakfast eaten by 8 am! We were so tired that 4 out of the 5 of us went back to sleep until noon. Briton just sat on the couch watching cartoons and playing his new game for his Nintendo DS. Thank heaven for good little boys! We spent the rest of the day and the day after visiting family.
The new year brought a few surprises. We were planning on having a party with Brian's sister's families, but Kaelee ended up getting sick so we had to cancel. Brian had been sick a few days earlier, then I was sick, and then Kae got it, but after she puked, took a bath, and napped for a couple hours she was fine. We ended up eating finger food and watching a movie with the kids, then let them ring in the new year a few hours early because they were all getting tired. Brian and I made it til about 11:30, then we were too tired to stay up anymore. It's funny, the new year comes whether you're there to see it or not.

Today Briton got his cast off! It has been a long awaited day and we were all excited. He walks funny and probably will for the next week until he ets full range of his ankle again. He was so brave when the nurse cut the cast off and I could see the fear in his face as he watched the saw.

As for resolutions . . . they are overrated! I have resolved not to make any resolutions. I am simply going to take small steps toward the big picture. When step one has been reached, I will move on to step two and so on. My big picture consists of me being a few pounds lighter and few inches slimmer. Step one is watching the portions I consume, step two is being consistent on the treadmill, I have not yet come up with step three. I also am not setting a date as to when I want to have these steps accomplished because I do not know how many times I will have to start over at step one.

I will keep you posted . . .

1 comment:

Nancy Page said...

Summer,
That's so funny, Christmas was done by 8Am. I'm glad that you guys had a fun one and got some catch up sleep. I love you guys and miss you too.
Luv,
Nancy